Conflicting reports on number of casualties in rival Egyptian protests

At least 150 people have been killed and 5,200 others injured in clashes during rival demonstrations by the supporters and opponents of ousted President Mohamed Morsi across the country, Egyptian sources say.

The casualty figures were released by Muslim Brotherhood and Egyptian medical sources.

Al Jazeera’s Egypt television station reported that 120 had been killed and some 4,500 injured in the early morning violence. A Reuters reporter at the scene counted 36 bodies at an improvised morgue.

Gehad El-Haddad, the Muslim Brotherhood spokesman, said the shooting started shortly before pre-dawn morning prayers on the fringes of the vigil being staged by backers of Morsi.

“They are not shooting to wound, they are shooting to kill,” Haddad said.

Thousands of supporters and opponents of the army’s removal of Morsi also took to the streets of the Mediterranean city of Alexandria, sparking fierce clashes that killed seven people and wounded 194.

A group of people who were trapped by armed men in one of the city’s main mosques have been released, but 70 remain inside, including women and children.

Reports say the clashes between Morsi’s supporters and opponents continue to rage, resulting in rising casualties.

Since President Morsi was removed from office by the military on  July 3, dozens of people have died in mass protests. In some of  the worst violence since the unrest began in Egypt, 50 Morsi supporters were gunned down at a Cairo barracks on July 8 by  security forces.

Source: Agencies

Advertisements

Add Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s